During the Internet Boom one of the most hard-to-forget marketing pitches I’ve ever come across went like this: “If your business is not in the Internet, your business will soon be out of business.” The message, of course, is over-exaggerated, but it is an invitation for businesses to go online and claim their respective spot in virtual space by putting up a website. Essentially, the message is saying, “get your website now before the competitor gets there first.”Here’s my take: The part where it says, “being out of business if you’re not online”, that’s not true at all. From the period covering of the dot-coms-turned-dot-gones to the when everyone was talking about Web 2.0 (whatever that means) and until now when mobile apps are the “in things”, there are businesses which never had an online presence. Quite surprisingly here in the Philippines, a good number of these businesses are doing just fine and some are remarkably thriving even without having their own websites. What I’m trying to say is, if you are a business owner, you don’t have to jump to the Internet-bandwagon. In fact you should NOT get a website under the following circumstances:
- If it’s not essential to the operations of your business
- If it can’t bring in the money to your business.
- If you can’t do it right.
I can’t help you with the first item. You have to figure it out for yourself.
NegosyoBuilder.com is here to help you with the second item. So I’d like to invite you to subscribe to our email list (thanks to Google Feedburner) or like us on Facebook or connect with us on Google+.
This article is intended to address the third item. When it comes to your online business, your attitude should be: “Do it right, OR don’t do it at all.”
Read the rest of the material if you want to have a business website and do it right.
The Benefits of Having A Website
First, let’s put things in proper order. It’s always good to have an attitude that goes like this: “A website? What’s in it for my business?
It’s good that you ask. But, you should also ask why you are in business in the first place.
Here’s how your business benefits by taking your dose of online multi-vitamins:
1. It’s good for your image. Your website serves as an electronic equivalent of your printed brochures and people can view them anytime, anywhere. It means you are keeping up with times and you are at pace with technology. It reinforces your reputation and enhances your credibility.
2. It makes you visible. A business is no good if your customers and clients can’t find you. Having a website is like passing out your business card to several people. And since most website visitors come to a website through search engines, it would be good if you rank high in Web search results.
3. It communicates your message. A website can be a powerful and cost-effective communication tool. You can send out updates, good news, special promotions, product introductions, and similar information to your target audience.
4. It’s a feedback tool. You can hear from your customers and how they feel about your business.
5. It makes you money. Depending on how good you are at turning site visitors into paying customers, your website indeed can positively affect your bottom-line. If you believe that your business can make you rich, your website only makes it a little bit easier.
We’re only talking about a simple website here. Bear in mind that not all websites are created equal. Some have a lot of advanced features like those e-commerce websites that accept online payments, or those from the banks that allow you to perform Internet Banking 24/7.
Stay tuned for part 2 where we discuss main ingredients you need to prepare so you can have a killer website.
Update: Part 2 of this series of articles is now ready. Click here to read it.